Monday, September 2, 2013

Azor and Nedari


















Chapter 1




            At the young age of five seasons, a blood covered, half dead Barbarian child wondered into Nedari's yard. She ran to get her mother who took him in the house and cleaned the child up.  He never told her how he got there or what had happened to his guardians, but he did thank her in Darkelf tongue. Because of his lack of family and obviously being comfortable with darkelves if he knew the language, she decided to take the child in and so the unstoppable force of Azor and Nedari begun.  Azor and Nedari grew up together in that small unknown Sevlekrad village and even though it was DarkElf land and he was of Barbarian race, the small village accepted Azor as one of them.
           
            There was not one time that the village didn’t see the two together and smiled at the oddly paired companions. Nedari always told everyone that she was protecting Azor so that no one would pick on him for being Barbarian, but it was plain to see that not many people could get to Nedari with out having to go through Azor first.

             When the friends started their tenth season, an older boy came to her saying that his name was Tearis. He said that was Nedari's brother and he was taking her to his village. Nedari was thrilled to know that she had a brother of her very own, but she told him that she would not leave without Azor.

            “Sir, there is nothing more that I want then to leave this place,” Nedari said strongly, even in her young girls voice command and determination was apparent. “But I just can’t leave without Azor, sir”

            Tearis smiled a little and her strength and confidence at such a young age. He looked over the boy that she was so loyal to, who was seemingly protecting her because he never let her get out of his sight for any length of time. He was big even for someone of only a tenth season, already getting the muscular build that is the Barbarian trade mark.

            “Who are you’re guardians, child?” He said addressing the boy.

            “I have never had any, I am alone except for Nedari and her mother, here.” the boy answered in perfect DarkElf tongue.

            “No!” Nedari said suddenly interrupting them with her outburst, stopping her little foot, as if on the verge of a temper tantrum. “I want you to speak normal! He doesn’t care that you can speak my tongue. You’re accent is funny, speak normal, Barbarian!” she demanded, smiling mischievously.

            Tearis was about to scold her for being so rude, but one look at the boys wide grin and he knew that he didn’t care about her calling him by his race. He probably looked at it as an endearment.

            “The Lass likes me accent, me Lord.” The boy said grinning wider.

            Tearis was a little hesitant about bringing the boy, but agreed after seeing how attached the children were to each other. For the past 15 seasons, they grew up in Tersida Valley, still stuck to each other as if never having known what it was to be apart. Tersida valley watched them grow up, knowing that one day they would have to face the awkwardness of feelings. Though both dated others, but nothing would last and they'd be right back together again, stuck like glue.

            On Nedari's twenty first day of birth, Azor had given her a gift that left everyone speechless. It was a hand crafted sword that was more beautiful than anything that Nedari had ever seen. Everyone congratulated Azor on such wonderful work, even Tearis whom Azor was now working for. Later that night the friends were arguing and put on a sword fight for everyone, which of course ended with Azor on top of Nedari, her hands pinned and them both laughing historically. 

             As they got older, Nedari came to idolize her brother, striving to be just like him if not better in all that he did. She wanted so much to be respected as a skilled and deadly fighter as her brother was, though everyone told her she had far to go to catch up to Tearis’ skill. That didn’t stop Nedari nevertheless and she became more and more like her brother every new season, including becoming the most valuable and capable scout they had. Despite the fact that, she never did acknowledge the woman that she had become.

            Azor came to be counted on very much by Tearis as well, to continue what he did best, keep Nedari safe. He joined Tearis’ troops and was quickly climbing ranks and gaining respect among the guild. Amid other things, he was often employed to keep a leash on Nedari considering she had never out grown the habit of wandering off by herself.

            Being employed as the leash holder Azor was, at this moment, traipsing through the Woods of Fire trying to get a handle on their honored scout because she was going to be late for supper and Nevallia would have frowned at them. Which was worse then getting yelled at, in Azor’s opinion. He would much prefer being yelled at by a woman, at least you know where you stand when their yelling at you. It’s when they are silent with that irksome look of disapproval, when it’s bad. Yes, he’ll take the yelling.

            Azor saw her from a distance, her bow cocked at an unseen target. He waited for her to shoot before calling attention to him self, knowing that if he interrupted her shot, her temper would have that bow pointed at him.

In her armor, Nedari was almost indistinguishable from the rest of the guild, but Azor knew better. Leaning against a tree, he thought about the days growing up and growing with Nedari. He couldn’t remember his parents, which was something that he didn’t see any significance in, because Nedari was his family. She was so understanding and ready to accept him, a scrawny child of only 5 seasons. Since she had grown up as rough as one of the guys, he was comfortable around her. Especially so when his awkward young adult years had came about. She didn’t even tease him when his voice pitched embarrassingly, as the other girls did. He had been slowly realizing though over the past few months that it wasn't just friendship love that he had for her, it's was a deep love that he was currently trying to pretend didn’t exist.

            When he finally came out of his deep thoughts, he realized that Nedari wasn’t in his sights any more. Sitting up, he quickly scanned the area for any movement. When he didn’t see anything, he froze listening carefully. By the time he heard anything behind him, he was being knocked on his face, the attacker on his back. His long brown braid was jerked back, exposing his neck completely. Feeling the cold steel on his neck made him smile.

            The attacker leaned forward, whispering harshly into Azor’s ear. “Don move’r I’ll slit yur throat.”

            Azor quickly identified the badly disguised voice and his smile broke into a grin. “Now girly,” He said calmly, thickening the burr of his accent. “You don’ wont me tea be flippin’ ya over an’ haven me way which ya?”

            “You pig!” Nedari screeched, no longer able to hide the humor in her voice. “You wouldn’t!”

            Azor shifted his weight, easily flipping Nedari on her back and taking the upper hand. He used one hand to pin her arms above her head, his other hand held the weight of his massive chest off of her so he wouldn’t crush her. He straddled her hips to keep her from bucking him off and getting away.

            She knew she couldn’t win against him and she didn’t even bother fighting. “How did you know?” she asked, sulking slightly from her defeat.

            “Ah Lass, you’ve been in me sights for a time before you found me out.” Azor said smugly.

            “Nay, I heard your large barbarian feet stopping through the woods long before I was found.” she explained, grinning. “I was just waiting for you to start daydreaming like you always do, then I pounced.”

            “I was jus’ pretending to be dreamin’, so I can git ya into dis compromising position.” he said, wiggling his eyebrows.

            “Damn you, Barbarian!” she exclaimed, wriggling against his hold on her.

            The more she struggled against him and the tighter he tried to hold her, the more uncomfortable he became. She attempted to buck him off two or three times in a row and he could no longer hold back a groan. The only evidence left of his self control was the pained expression on his face as he fought every animalistic urge in his body.

            “You best stop squrmin’, sweetheart,” he said, his voice sounding strained. “Or I really will have me way with you.”

            Nedari stopped and looked up at him, her face serious and her playful smile fading. “When did you stop calling me Ned?”

            "What? I don know what yur talk'in 'bout." he said, trying to cover the slip.

            "Seriously, you never call me sweetheart." Nedari said confused, then pressed the question again. “When did you stop calling me Ned?”

            “When I realized ya weren’t jus’ me best friend anymore,” Azor explained rolling his eyes, knowing that he wasnt going to be able to avoid the conversation. “I realized you were a woman.”
           
            "I am not! You take that back!" She said, honestly outraged.
           
            "You are too, like it or not and" Azor shrugged. "I just kinda realized."

            “When was this realization?” she asked, a red tint creeping into her cheeks. All these years they have been best friends, she never really thought about her best friend as a man. Azor was just her...Azor. They swim unclothed together for goodness sake.

            Azor let her arms go, but didn’t get off of her. “Honestly, I dunno. Been ‘bout six months I reckon.” He stopped and looked down at her and swore under his breath before getting off of her and staring down at her. “I have been thinking a lot about how we came to be together, and you are more then just a best friend to me.” he started to walk away from her, swearing again under his breath. “I don’t know what that means.”

            “Why do you stand to dragons and creatures from the Deep in Brunswick, but you run from me.” Nedari said, getting to her feet, but not running after him.

            “Aye, I will take dragons and creature before I ruin us with some childish infatuation.” Azor answered, still walking away.

            “Damnit, don’t you walk away from me Barbarian!” Nedari ordered.

            Azor stopped in his tracks and spun around heading back to her quickly and purposefully. When he got to right in front of her he stopped, his green eyes warning her to let him speak. “Ya don’ wan this, lass, t’was bound to happen an we both know it, but ya don’ wan this.”

            “What if I do, Barbarian?” Nedari said. Though she only came up to his chest, she let her fury show through her eyes as she glared at him. “What if i'm tired of letting people choosing for me what I do and do not want? You’re wrong, I didn’t see this coming, but if I did, I wouldn’t have denied it or feared it. Who better to love then my own best friend?”

            "Love? What do you know of love?" Azor laughed cynically. "’Prolly as much as me and I know that me an' you are talk'n 'bout different kinds of love."

            "What’s that suppose to mean?" She asked with her arms crossed in front of her.

            “Darlin, you and I have are two different classes of people. Between us, lass, there can be no love.” Azor said before turning again and walking away.

                                                                        ~~~     ~~~     ~~~

            As Nedari sat down for dinner, she scanned the mess hall for any sign of Azor at the warrior table, but he hadn’t shown up yet.

            “Who are we looking for, Ned?” Nevallia asked as she looked around too. 

            “I can’t find Azor.” she replied absently.

            “Azor?” Nevallia asked surprised. “Isn’t he usually attached to your hip?”

            “Yeah, but we fought today and I wanted to apologize to him.” Nedari explained vaguely, not wanting to get into the specifics right now. She loved her sister in marriage but this did not need to get back to Tearis.

            Nedari continued to look for Azor for the rest of the meal, but he never showed up. She excused herself from the table quickly after dinner and made her way across the village to Azor's cottage.

            Azor was polishing his armor when he heard a knock at the door. Setting his things aside, he walked to the door, finding a humble Nedari when he opened it.

            “May I come in?” she asked politely, her eyes searching his for traces of his earlier anger.

            Azor leaned up against the door, his large build taking up the entire doorway. “Since when do ya ask to come in me house? Since when do ya knock, fur that matter?”

            Nedari started to feel her temper rise, but she saw the sly smile on his lips and grinned up at him. “People can change. For example, I have never seen you skip a supper.”

            His smile faded slightly, but he kept his voice light. “I had things that needed to be taken care.” he stepped out of the way to let her pass into the house.

            “I just wanted to come by to apologize for my behavior earlier. I had no right to press you and i’m sorry, barbarian.”      

            “Look darlin, you donna have any idea why I got mad.” he said, walking to the other side of the room, leaning his hands up on the wall, his back to her. “I have tried ignoring it, I have tried living in denial, but lass, there’s no cure for you.”

            Nedari started to say something, but he raised his hand to stop her, knowing she was going to speak without even looking at her. “I was wrong to say that t’was you that didn’t want it. T’is me that doesn’t want this and I cont have ya the way that I want ya an I don want to hear a nice we’ll-always-be-friends speech.” his accent thickened as he talked and his emotion rose.

            She stayed silent for a while, just watching his back rise and fall with his breathing. “May I speak now?” Nedari waited a few seconds and when he didn’t answer, she continued. “All I wanted to say was, why didn’t you tell me six moths ago when you started to feel this way?”

            Azor scoffed. “Lass, I’ve loved you from our fifth season when you and yur mum saved me life.”

            “You should have told me.”

            “You wouldn’t have had me.” he said honestly, knowing that she wasn’t interested in boys, she never was.

            “Look,” she said gently. “There is not a day that has gone by that I have never loved you in some way or another. It should have to be me asking to be loved by you, not the other way around.”

            "You said that you didn't know this was coming." He said his back still to her. "I've done nothing but follow you around like a lost puppy for twenty seasons."
           
            "Barbarian, I didn’t see this coming, but it's not a bad thing." She said. Nedari took a deep breath to compose herself. "Will you have me?"

            Azor turned slowly as his dark green eyes looked deep into her gray one’s, seemingly searching. “Lass, do you have any idea how long I’ve been waiting for that?” he walked over to her, taking her into his arms he stared into her eyes.

            “Azor.” was all she said, but to him it was all that was need to be said. She never said his name and tonight it sounded more beautiful than any bards rhyme. He leaned his face down capturing her lips with his own.          

( Chapter 2 )

No comments:

Post a Comment